Dear President Bush,
A few months ago, you expressed your intention to attend the Beijing Olympic games scheduled for August 8 this year.
- When the 2008 Games were awarded to Beijing, Beijing had promised to improve human rights in China.
- As the Olympics approaches, the Peoples Republic of China has increased its repression against the freedoms of its citizens, most notably is the March 18, 2008 trial of AIDS activist Hu Jia.
- The PRC is also the country which consistently vetoed any UN sanctions against the military junta in Burma despite Nobel Laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi calling for such sanctions.
- The PRC is also the country which continued to supply arms to the Sudan government despite the ongoing genocide in Darfur.
- The repression in Tibet has been ongoing and with the recent protests by Tibetan monks and civilians in Tibet, we expect that the repression will become more severe unless our global leaders take action.
In view of the above human rights violations by the government of
the PRC, we ask that you reconsider your decision in attending the
opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games this August 8.
Ann Lau, Visual Artists Guild
Ann Noonan, Free Church for China, Inc.
Thelma Young, Campaigns Coordinator, US Campaign for Burma
Rev. Ruben Diaz, New York State Senator
Rev. Douglas Shin, Exodus 21
Ron Paler, MD, Pasadena, California
Harry Wu, Laogai Research Foundation
Justin Yu, President of Chinese Chamber of Commerce of New York.
Maria Guarracino, Bronx, New York
Bob Fowler, New York
Appo Jabarian, Executive Publisher/Managing Editor USA Armenian Life Magazine
Felipe O. Infante, Pasadena Human Relations Commission
Reggie Littlejohn, China expert, Human Rights Without Frontier
Carol Crossed, Owner and Curator, Susan B Anthony Birthplace
Yaning Liu, Baldwin Park, California
Nat Hentoff, Syndicated Columnist, The Village Voice
Fr. Gerard O'Brien, Assumption Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church, Pasadena
Tahilia Rebello, Columbia University, New York, NY
Simcha Felder, New York City Councilmember
Ethan Gutmann, Adjunct Fellow, Foundation for Defense of Democracies
Robert Senser, Editor and publisher, Human Rights for Workers Too
Marina King, Bronx, New York
Yongyi Song, California State University, Los Angeles
George Mo, West America Chinese Political Refugees
Ari Hoffnung, Riverdale, New York
Carl Olson, Chairman, State Department Watch
Cy Wong, Singer, Actor and Writer
Camella Pinkney-Price, Legacy Coalition
Teresa Matheson, St Barnabas Family Ministry
Andrew Koenig, Filmmaker
Julie Adler, artist, Los Angeles, CA
Yi Myint, Laguna Hills, CA
Manny Papir, Cuban Exile, NYC
Hieu Van Ngo, Secretary General, The Committee of Human Rights in Vietnam
Chris Smith, Los Angeles, California
Samuel H. Chao, Ph. D. China Ministries International, Pasadena, CA.
Ari Averbach, Jewish World Watch
Nguyen Thanh Trang, President, Vietnam Human Rights Network
Marian C. Blackshear, Lakewood, California
Aung Myint Htun, 88 Generation Student (Exile)
Albert Roman, Torrance, CA.
Louis A. Shapiro, Arleta, CA.
Linda Lin, California
To electronically sign this letter please fill out the form below.
Don't forget your city and state or your affiliation.
Your participation will be highly apreaciated. Thank you!
(NOTE: Due to errors on XO.com 's hosting server the below
form is currently not operational. Please use the email feature to sign
up. We hope XO will resolve this issue soon!